What is SMASH?
SMASH is a Summer Math and Science Honors Academy that takes place at Stanford or UC Berkeley
- The program is a three-year, 5-week STEM enrichment program for high achieving, low-income students
- Students receive year-round academic support including SAT prep, college counseling, financial aid workshops, etc
- Students live on campus during the program
- Target Student: 3.5 GPA, strong in Math and Science, must qualify for Free or Reduced Lunch
- Application Due: February 28, 2020
A complete application consists of:
1. Applicant and Parent/Guardian Information
2. Essay: Describe a problem you've solved or a problem you'd like to solve in your community. It can be anything of personal importance, no matter the scale. Explain its significance to you and what steps you took or could be taken to identify a solution using science, technology, engineering, and/or math. (500 words)
3. Two Letters of Recommendation: You will enter the contact information for your current math and science teachers to request letters of recommendation from them.
4. 8th Grade Transcript
5. State Standardized Math Test Scores: If you are in California, you will submit your Smarter Balanced test scores, and if you are in Georgia, you will submit your Georgia Milestones test scores.
6. Income Verification: We need either proof of your eligibility for free or reduced price lunch or the first two pages of your parents'/guardians' most recent 1040 tax return.
If you have questions about the application, you will be able to access an FAQ page once you start your application.
Click on this link to apply: https://www.lpfi.org/programs/smash/